Wednesday 5 October 2011

Blueprint For An Apology

As reported in the Huffington Post this week, on Tuesday Vanity Fair magazine released an excerpt of their upcoming Johnny Depp cover article, hoping to generate buzz ahead of it hitting newsstands. In the short passage, the actor made a rare misstep, comparing participating in photo shoots to being raped. "Well, you just feel like you're being raped somehow," he said. The statement raised eyebrows and drew criticism, leading Depp to quickly issue a statement of apology and regret.

"I am truly sorry for offending anyone in any way. I never meant to. It was a poor choice of words on my part in an effort to explain a feeling," Depp said in the statement. "I understand there is no comparison and I am very regretful. In an effort to correct my lack of judgement, please accept my heartfelt apology."

As one commentator wrote on the Huffington Post's forum under the story:

"Bad analogy, Mr. Depp, but that apology is HOW an apology should be made. First, he apologized "for offending anyone", not the mealy mouthed "IF I offended anyone". Clear difference being that he acknowledged that what he said was offensive. Second, he said he "never meant to" offend anyone. No intent, no "I was misquoted" or "misunderstood".

Third, he admitted to a "poor choice of words" to try to explain a feeling. Not, "you didn't understand what I was trying to say". He said, in essence, "what I said was wrong". Fourth, he acknowledges that his feelings in this matter are in no way comparable to the feelings of a rape victim. He did not try further explain the unexplainable. Finally, he expressed the desire to "correct my lack of judgement" and, again, apologized.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Which is why I haven't tried!



Andrew Caesar-Gordon